Welcome all Members of The Brisbane Golf Club to our 2021 season and the celebration of our 125th year. After a very difficult and turbulent 2020 we would like to wish everyone a safe and healthy year ahead – filled with enjoyable golf and increased social and friendly gatherings. Hopefully the COVID-19 pandemic situation will improve during the year and life generally can return back to a greater normality.
Celebrating 125 Years
The Club has an exciting milestone year ahead, and the Committees have already planned a number of events and new ventures to maximise the recognition of our 125 years as well as adding to the Club experience for all Members. Some of these activities already being planned are as follows:
- 125 Year Flag Raising Ceremonies on our Opening Days;
- The launch of our 125 Year Logo to be displayed on all golfing apparel, merchandise and stationery;
- A new website with professional photography;
- A 125 Year Anniversary Dinner later in the year;
- A 125 Year Legacy Project; and
- a new Strategic Plan.
The other major project to be implemented at BGC this year is the replacement of our irrigation system. We are pleased to announce this is planned to start in the first week of March. These works will add greatly to the golfing experience at BGC as well as the overall course maintenance for many years to come. Although we expect there to be minimal inconvenience for Members during this time, we also request the patience of Members as each hole is completed. A more detailed communication outlining the program will be sent out in the coming weeks.
Before explaining Opening Day procedures, we also just wanted to remind Members of a few important core values that are essential for Member satisfaction and also written into our strategic plan. As core values within the Club they represent important attributes that we expect from all Members and staff within this prestigious golfing community:
- Be One Team and Members First;
- Respect All; and
- Create an Environment that people enjoy being a part of.
The other reminder is for all Members to again familiarise themselves with the dress code for the Club which is on our website. It is essential that all Members continue to abide by these rules, which enhance the enjoyment of all golfer’s at BGC.
Opening Days – Key Timings and Activities
The key timings and activities for our Ladies’ Opening Days on Saturday, 6 February and Tuesday, 9 February have already been communicated to our lady Members via seperate emails from the Ladies’ President, Ladies’ Captain and Saturday Ladies’ Representative. This information has also been published in the latest news section of our website.
The key timings and activities for our Men’s Opening Day on Saturday, 13 February are as follows:
- Shotgun starts at 7:00am and 1:00pm;
- Lunch to be provided for all Members present at three food stations located outside of the Garden Room and in the Tennyson Room and Member’s Lounge from 11:00am;
- Flag Raising Ceremony will be held at 11:45am; and
- Welcoming speeches from Captain and President to follow this ceremony with presentation to the Summer Cup winners also to be made.
Once again we wish all Members a wonderful 2021 and we will leave you with a great golfing quotation from the famous Australian golfer Bruce Crampton
“Golf is a compromise between what your ego wants you to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.”
Mark Deuble, President Sue Lewandowski, Ladies’ President