The Brisbane Golf Club has introduced a new event this year called the 2020 Shootout. There will be a maximum of 15 qualifying rounds of which your 4 best stableford scores during these qualifying rounds are used to determine which 19 players get a start in the Shootout final played on the first Sunday in November. You can play in all or some of the qualifying rounds. A one off entry of $20 is required, and you must register prior to your first round to be included in the qualifying scores. If you finish your round with 37 points, then decide to enter the Shootout, this 37 point score will not count. Any member (male or female) that is eligible to play on a Saturday is eligible to qualify for the Shootout Final day. Read on further below for additional details.
The event is a 19 person shootout to be played on Sunday, 1 November 2020. One player will be eliminated at the completion of each hole. The Shootout Champion will be the last player remaining in the competition after the 18th hole. The event is open to all members who are eligible to play on Saturdays.
You have made it to the 18th green, where you and your opponent are the last 2 people remaining in the Shootout Final. You have already seen off the 17 other finalists over the past 17 holes. There are now numerous people watching you and your opponent play the last. You have a shot, your opponent does not. They make their 4 nett 4, and you now have a 10 foot putt for a 4 nett 3.
As there were 200 people registered for the event, the winner will have $1200 credited into their club (the maximum allowable under Golf Australia’s amateur status rules), whilst as the runner up will receive a measly $600. That means that 10 foot putt is for $600. No pressure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2020 Qualifying Round Dates
- Saturday, 7 March 2020
- Saturday, 28 March 2020
- Saturday, 18 April 2020
- Saturday, 25 April 2020
- Saturday, 9 May 2020
- Saturday, 16 May 2020
- Saturday, 13 June 2020
- Saturday, 20 June 2020
- Saturday, 11 July 2020
- Saturday, 1 August 2020
- Saturday, 15 August 2020
- Saturday, 22 August 2020
- Saturday, 12 September 2020
- Saturday, 19 September 2020
- Saturday, 17 October 2020
Any individual wishing to participate in this event must register prior to recording a qualifying score. Registration can be undertaken by the following methods:
- Email either Joe Janison, Reece McRae or Alan Grieve your wish to register. This way, there is a record of the date and time you have registered.
- In person at the Golf Shop. The Golf Shop staff will note the date and time you have registered.
The Brisbane Golf Club will debit the one off entry fee of $20 from your club account.
Qualifying Conditions of Play
1. Qualifying scores for the event will be recorded from the competition rounds played at The Brisbane Golf Club listed on the above dates. Any competition rounds not a single stableford will be converted to a stableford score for this event.
2. NCR and disqualified cards cannot be used for qualifying.
3. The aggregate of the best four (4) stableford scores per competitor throughout the qualifying period will be used as the score for each competitor.
4. The competitors with the best nineteen (19) stableford aggregate totals at the conclusion of the last qualifying round will be eligible to participate in the Shootout. In the event of a tie for positions, a count back will apply. The lowest qualifying score recorded will be used to determine the order of qualifier/s. If a tie still exists, the fifth score recorded (highest non-qualifying score) will be used, then the sixth highest score recorded, and so on. If a player has less rounds than others on a tied score upon exhaustion of non-qualifying scores, then the player with the lower number of qualifying rounds will be ranked higher. If there is still a tie after the non-qualifying scores have been used, a toss of a coin will determine the qualifier/s.
Shootout Conditions of Play
- Each of the 19 qualifiers to play off the lower of the following:
- G.A. Handicap on the day of the final;
- Lowest G.A. Handicap played off for any of the 4 qualifying rounds.
- Handicap shots in the Shootout Final will be as per the stroke index on the card for the course to be played. E.G. if you are playing off a daily handicap of 11, then you will receive shots on holes with handicap stroke indexes of 1 to 11.
- Men to play off the Blue Tees, Ladies to play off the Red Tees, with the exception of any Centurion Club qualifiers, who can choose which set of tees from which they wish to play. Daily Handicaps will be calculated for the course and tee colour to be played on the day based on Shootout Conditions of Play Point 1 (above).
- Each of the 19 qualifiers will have their ranking number printed/marked/inscribed on their individual golf ball(s) to be used for the duration of the shootout.
- The Shootout Match Committee shall nominate a Shootout Final Referee, whose decision is final. The Referee shall not be one of the 19 qualifiers.
- The highest nett score for each hole will be eliminated. In the event of two or more players having the equal highest nett score, there will be “Chip Off / Putt Off” from a point to be determined on the day. The player who finishes furthest from the hole will be eliminated. If a player’s chip shot fails to make or stay on the green, then they will be eliminated unless more than 1 chip shot fails to make or stay on the green, in which case those players will be asked to chip again.
- Order of play from the tee will be in reverse order of ranking of those still remaining i.e. 19th to 1st. Order of play for the “Chip Off / Putt Off” will be from highest ranking to lowest of those still remaining i.e. 1st to 19th.
- The Shootout Champion will be the last player remaining in the competition after the 18th hole. The final kitty breakdown will be determined once final numbers of competitors have been established. A spreadsheet is available upon request that can be used as a guide for the various total number of competitors. Payment will be credited to the individuals club account. The final prizemoney allocation will be determined upon completion of the qualifying rounds and each of the finalists will be provided with a breakdown of winnings.
Conditions of Entry
- It is the player’s responsibility to be familiar with the event Conditions of Play and Conditions of Entry.
- Competitors must have a current Golf Australia handicap, and the handicap must not be provisional for any qualifying round score, or the shootout final.
- Competitors must be a current financial member of The Brisbane Golf Club at the time of the Shootout final.
- Members who are professional golfers are not eligible to play in the event.
- Any member who has received a Club suspension for any reason within a 12-month period prior to the Shootout Final date will be ineligible to qualify for the Shootout Final.
- A one off entry fee of $20.00 is required to be paid before a qualifying score can be recorded. Refer to the Registration Details section.
- It is the competitor’s responsibility to determine if he/she is firstly enrolled in the event and his/her scores have been recorded since their date of entry, and secondly, at the end of the qualifying period, if they have qualified for the shootout final by checking with the Pro Shop.
- Upon the completion of each round, an updated leader board will be available to all competitors currently entered in the event.
- If the competitor is unable to play in the shootout final, there will be no extensions granted and the competitor will be substituted with the next highest ranked available competitor on the leader board.
- If the course is closed on the scheduled Shootout final date, then the final will be rescheduled to Sunday, 15 November 2020. If on this date, the course is closed, then the final will be moved back one week to the following Sunday, and so on until the final is played.
- The Match Committee reserves the right to amend any or all of the above Conditions in exceptional circumstances except those Conditions that are a Rule of Golf.
Alan Grieve, Captain